Nature's Answer to Reflux
Alginate therapy harnesses the natural healing ability of kelp. Alginate is an all-natural polymer harvested from brown seaweed (kelp). Alginates have been used safely in the food industry for over 100 years. Alginates are a main ingredient in natural food thickeners and jellies. Alginates have NO known side effects.
In clinical studies, alginates alone have been proven effective in treating reflux. Further studies have shown that adding PPIs (proton pump inhibiting drugs) to alginate therapy does not improve the treatment of reflux. In fact, there are studies that show alginate therapy alone is equal to PPIs in treating reflux – but without all of the potentially dangerous side effects of PPI drugs.
How Does Alginate Therapy Work?
The Esophageal Cork
Unlike other treatment options, in addition to relieving the pain of reflux, alginate therapy actually stops reflux from happening.
Once taken, the alginate forms a protective coating in your throat, esophagus, and stomach that can help relieve or even prevent manifestations of reflux (both GERD and LPR).
When the alginate reaches your stomach, it forms a protective gel “raft” that floats on the top of your stomach contents. This raft effectively blocks off (or “corks”) the esophagus, physically blocking the reflux of your stomach contents into your esophagus.
When Do I Take Reflux Gourmet?
Alginate therapy works best when taken after meals and before bed to help seal the stomach from the esophagus and reduce the risk of stomach contents refluxing into the esophagus.
The alginate gel “raft” will last for a few hours, giving your stomach time (under normal circumstances) to clear the food after meals. The alginate raft will then dissolve and digest.
Why Is Reflux Gourmet The Best?
Now you know how alginate therapy naturally supports esophageal health and limits, or can even prevent, reflux safely (without the potentially dangerous side effects of PPI drugs) –
Our mission is to make life better.
When you feel good, life is better.
Reflux Gourmet – it’s comfort cuisine.
Alginate and Weight Loss
Alginate therapy is also an effective tool to help promote healthy weight loss and appetite control. The seaweed-derived fiber can help relieve hunger pains and can enhance feelings of satiety (being full). The consumption of alginate before meals has been shown to reduce mealtime caloric intake. Although Reflux Gourmet is best taken after meals to prevent the experience of reflux, it can also be taken before and between meals to reduce hunger pains and help suppress your appetite.
Still curious? Check out these references for even more details.
- Belafsky PC, Postma GN, Koufman JA. Validity and reliability of the reflux symptom index (RSI). J Voice 2002; 16:274-277.
- Savarino V, Marabotto E, Zentilin Pet al. The appropriate use of proton-pump inhibitors. Minerva Med 2018; 109:386-399.
- Hatemi I, Esatoglu SN. What is the long term acid inhibitor treatment in gastroesophageal reflux disease? What are the potential problems related to long term acid inhibitor treatment in gastroesophageal reflux disease? How should these cases be followed? Turk J Gastroenterol 2017; 28:S57-S60.
- Lazarus B, Chen Y, Wilson FPet al. Proton Pump Inhibitor Use and the Risk of Chronic Kidney Disease. JAMA Intern Med 2016; 176:238-246.
- Lazarus B, Coresh J, Grams ME. Adverse Effects of Proton Pump Inhibitors in Chronic Kidney Disease-Reply. JAMA Intern Med 2016; 176:869-870.
- Li T, Xie Y, Bowe B, Xian H, Al-Aly Z. Serum phosphorus levels and risk of incident dementia. PLoS One 2017; 12:e0171377.
- Xie Y, Bowe B, Li T, Xian H, Yan Y, Al-Aly Z. Risk of death among users of Proton Pump Inhibitors: a longitudinal observational cohort study of United States veterans. BMJ Open 2017; 7:e015735.
- Xie Y, Bowe B, Li T, Xian H, Yan Y, Al-Aly Z. Long-term kidney outcomes among users of proton pump inhibitors without intervening acute kidney injury. Kidney Int 2017; 91:1482-1494.
- Gomm W, von Holt K, Thome Fet al. Association of Proton Pump Inhibitors With Risk of Dementia: A Pharmacoepidemiological Claims Data Analysis. JAMA Neurol 2016; 73:410-416.
- Kuller LH. Do Proton Pump Inhibitors Increase the Risk of Dementia? JAMA Neurol 2016; 73:379-381.
- Leiman DA, Riff BP, Morgan Set al. Alginate therapy is effective treatment for GERD symptoms: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Dis Esophagus 2017; 30:1-9.
- McGlashan JA, Johnstone LM, Sykes J, Strugala V, Dettmar PW. The value of a liquid alginate suspension (Gaviscon Advance) in the management of laryngopharyngeal reflux. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2009; 266:243-251.
- Reimer C, Lodrup AB, Smith G, Wilkinson J, Bytzer P. Randomised clinical trial: alginate (Gaviscon Advance) vs. placebo as add-on therapy in reflux patients with inadequate response to a once daily proton pump inhibitor. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2016; 43:899-909.
- Rohof WO, Bennink RJ, Smout AJ, Thomas E, Boeckxstaens GE. An alginate- antacid formulation localizes to the acid pocket to reduce acid reflux in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013; 11:1585-1591; quiz e1590.
- Salvatore S, Ripepi A, Huysentruyt Ket al. The Effect of Alginate in Gastroesophageal Reflux in Infants. Paediatr Drugs 2018; 20:575-583.
- Vardar R, Keskin M, Valitova E, Bayrakci B, Yildirim E, Bor S. Effect of alginate in patients with GERD hiatal hernia matters. Dis Esophagus 2017; 30:1-7.
- Muller M, Labenz G, Borkenstein DP, Labenz J, Studiengruppe L. [Alginate on demand as add-on for patients with gastro-oesophageal reflux disease and insufficient PPI effect]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr 2018.
- Wilkie MD, Fraser HM, Raja H. Gaviscon(R) Advance alone versus co- prescription of Gaviscon(R) Advance and proton pump inhibitors in the treatment of laryngopharyngeal reflux. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 2018; 275:2515-2521.
- Saifullah AM, Ahmed F, Shil BCet al. Comparative Study of Alginate and Omeprazole in Symptomatic Treatment of Non-erosive Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. Mymensingh Med J 2018; 27:771-775.
- Georg Jensen M1, Kristensen M, Astrup A. Effect of alginate supplementation on weight loss in obese subjects completing a 12-wk energy-restricted diet: a randomized controlled trial. Am J Clin Nutr.2012 Jul;96(1):5-13. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.111.025312. Epub 2012 May 30.
- Paxman JR1, Richardson JC, Dettmar PW, Corfe BM. Daily ingestion of alginate reduces energy intake in free-living subjects. Appetite.2008 Nov;51(3):713-9. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2008.06.013. Epub 2008 Jul 4.
ALGINATE THERAPY is the only intervention that works to safeguard the esophagus by creating a protective barrier that actually stops reflux from happening.
Created by expert physicians who care for people suffering from reflux and an iconic chef who knows what it feels like to do the suffering.
100% ALL-NATURAL • Paraben FREE, glycerin FREE, & potassium FREE • Made entirely from all-natural ingredients considered safe for children and during pregnancy • No known side effects • Made from start to finish in Northern California • Helps to relieve hunger pains associated with intermittent fasting • All-natural flavor designed by our iconic chef • Gluten FREE • Allergen FREE • Vegan
DIRECTIONS: Take one teaspoon (5 ml), or more as needed or as directed by your physician, after meals and before bedtime.